14 June 2012

Poetry: Perfect World


If it was a perfect world
We’d all have perfect smiles, perfect feet.
There’d be no sadness, no defeat,
No missing shoes or lost regrets
And certainly no misplaced bets.
Or was that debts?
I’m actually not quite sure.

If it was a perfect world
With plenty of food and lots to drink;
We wouldn’t see sorrow, or hunger or cold.
No need to worry about heating or gas,
Homes would be certain, no doubt of rent.
There would be no crying, no disdain;
We’d feel no emptiness, no loss, or shame.

If it was a perfect world
All would be exciting for a newborn child.
Questions asked would answers reach.
Seekers hunt for the known would keep
Curiosity ever on the breach;
Gladness at the forefront level,
Or was it glossy front page covers?
Oh Dear, It’s just not certain.

If it was a perfect world
I’d pray the world my soul to keep
But if I should die before I wake
Would I ask to be forsaked?
Should I really, after all?
Judgment is cruel
and I am really rather small.

If it was a perfect world
Would I see it, would I feel it?
Would I open up my eyes?
Or just turn and hide my fears
Behind my nightskirts or sisters shields?
Hope is elusive in shadowy form
While temptation teases us with haste.
Oh, do not let me force this pace
So I may miss it if I stop the chase.


—GBD
April 2012

1 comment:

  1. Terri Martin15 February, 2013

    This is such a thoughtful and thought provoking piece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails